The town has monuments for most of the past wars located at the corner of Baltimore Street and Frederick Road. For the past several years the Town Of Funkstown has been working towards a memorial for the fallen solders of the Civil War. The memorial will be placed in the park along the actual battle grounds but the final site has yet to be determined. Although we are on our way this is going to be a long process as monuments are very expensive. 100% of The Day in the Park venders registration goes to the memorial fund. Irene Owens who does those wonderful counted cross stitch items for Olde Tyme Christmas raffles came up with an idea to do her part to help. She has spent the last year stitching up a beautiful piece that measures over 16″ square and is of a higher stitch count than she normally does for Christmas. We now have it framed and ready to raffle for just $1.00 a chance. The picture, matting and framing was all donated so 100% of the ticket sales will be going to the Civil War Memorial fund and the picture may be viewed at the town hall. This is a great way to take a chance for a wonderful piece of art, and help remember to fallen men all at the same time. Tickets are on sale to everyone at the town hall now and will be sold up to right before drawing that will be held Saturday night July the 21st at the Day In The Park/Battle Of Funkstown Event, (You need not be present to win). Please thank Mrs. Owens for all her help with Community events as that is what makes Funkstown such a special place to live.
The Day in the Park & The Battle of Funkstown was a huge success. With over 1500 spectators in attendances for the many events of the weekend it is truly a testament to the many hours of hard work put in by all the volunteers that made this event happen. Please look at the Day in the Park pictures under the photo tab for a walk through this years festivity and just try to pick out your favorite event. Also mark July the 17th & 18th of next year to enjoy all of the fun again in Funkstown.
Agenda for the Funkstown Day in the Park
The Battle of Funkstown Re-enactment
July 10th Friday
• 1:00 pm the camp will be open for all registered participants of the re-enactment.
• Music for Friday evening provided by The 97th Regimental String Band, time TBA.
July 11th Saturday
• 9:00 am there will be foraging in town by the troops for food.
• 9:00 am music for the public provided by The 97th Regimental String Band in front of the Hudson House Gallery on Baltimore St.
• 10:00 am the street battle will begin and will run about 1 hour on Main Street.
• 1:00 pm until 8:00 pm food will be sold by the Funkstown Fire Company, Funkstown Lions Club and the St Paul’s Lutheran Church. Please see menu below
• 1:00 pm music provided by The 97th Regimental String Band, location will be in the lower pavilion in the town park next to the ball field.
• 1:00 pm until 8:00 pm craft vendors and businesses will be scattered throughout the west section of the park.
• 4:00 pm the Battle of Funkstown will begin in the east section of the park, and will last about 1 hour.
• 4:00 pm until 8:00 pm kids’ events on the west section of the park to include a moon bounce, giant slide, face painting, spin art, airbrush tattoos, duck pond, dunk tank, froggy fly fling, and a magician. All of the kids’ events are free for the children.
• 8:00 pm music provided by The 97th Regimental String Band at the east pavilion on top of the hill.
• At dusk, fireworks provided by Master Displays Limited.
• After the fireworks, there will be music provided by The 97th Regimental String Band again at the east pavilion on the top of the hill.
July 12th Sunday
• 12:00 pm music provided by The 97th Regimental String Band at the east pavilion on top of the hill.
• 1:00 pm the final field battle.
• 6:00am to 9:00am Funkstown Fire Company will be selling breakfast for $5.00 to include all you can eat pancakes, single servings of bacon, sausage, orange juice, and coffee.
• Menu for Saturday at the Day in the Park
Roast beef sandwich $3.00 Italian sausage $3.00
Hamburger $2.00 Cheeseburger $2.25
Hot dog $1.00 French fries $3.00
Sodas $1.00 Water $1.00
Gatorade $1.00 Snow cones $2.00
Funkstown is currently looking for reenactors for the Day in the Park reenactment of the battle of Funkstown. The registration for any one over the age of 12 will cost is $8.00 and will include 1 meal ticket. The registration for any one between the age of 12 and 6 will cost is $4.00 and will include 1 meal ticket. Any one under the age of 6 is FREE. There is also a $50.00 bounty for each of the first 4 wheeled field artillery pieces and $25.00 bounty for each of the first 10 mounted cavalry. You will be able to set up camp of Friday evening. The foraging will start in the town on Saturday at 8:30 am and will run will run until 9:30. The street battle will be from 10:00 until 11:00 or we run out of personal which ever comes first. The first field battle will be held from 2:oo until 3:00 in the park on saturday. The second field battle will be held on Sunday from 2:00 until 3:00 pm also in the park.
Also check out www.battle-of-funkstown.com for more information.
To register click this link.
To check out the safety requirements click this link.
Mayor and council approved the decision to ask the 97 Regimental string band to play for the Day in the Park event. This band has played for most all of the major civil war movies of the recent past. The band will play Friday night on and off all day Saturday and again on Sunday morning. Times will be published when we get a schedule from the band. In the mean time check them out at www.97th.com.
COME JOIN IN THE EXCITEMENT
BE PART OF THE RECREATION OF
THE BATTLE OF FUNKSTOWN
JULY 11TH AND 12TH, 2009
Both Union and Confederate troops will forage through Funkstown on Saturday morning, towns people will have treats and eatables for the troops; all captives must be given back at the end of the morning. A running street fight through the town will commence at 10:00am and conclude by 11:00am.
A full field battle is scheduled for 2:00pm Saturday afternoon in the rolling and wooded park. The battle will finish with plenty of time for dinner and a bit of rest before the free fireworks display beginning at 9:00pm. Reenactors will have the best seats in the town for the firework show. Just stay in camp and enjoy the show right overhead!
Sunday will see a gentle morning and lunch time and then a final battle in the park starting at 2:00pm. The battle will be over in plenty of time for you to pack and head on home well before dinner time.
Registration for The Battle of Funkstown is $8.00 for any one over 12 years of age, $4.00 for those between 6 and 12 years old and any one under 6 is FREE.
Each paid registration also includes a FREE meal ticket that may be redeemed Saturday, between noon and 8pm, at the food concession being run by the Funkstown Fire Company.
$50.00 Bounties will be paid for each of the first four wheeled field artillery pieces!
$25.00 Bounties will be paid for each of the first 10 mounted Cavalry!
Saturday will also feature a civil war band entertaining in the park.
Reenactors may arrive beginning at noon on Friday the 10th of July.
Walk-ons will be accepted but we do ask that you pre-register to help us with the planning of event. Registration forms, Wavier forms and Safety regulations may be downloaded from our web site http://www.battle-of-funkstown.com