Funck’s Jerusalem Town
The plan for a village named “Jerusalem,” bounded on three sides by the Antietam Creek, was unveiled by Jacob Funck in 1767. The town boasted 177 lots, each being 82 feet 6 inches wide and 231 feet in length with one exception, lot #43 which by necessity was smaller. Shortly afterwards, lots were for sale and the town soon had fifteen log houses. Early residents referred to it as ‘Funck’s Jerusalem Town’ which became part of Washington County in 1776.
Work on a comfortable stone house of the proprietor of Jerusalem Town was completed in 1769. Jacob Funck, his wife Ann, and their family of four girls and two boys moved into their new residence on lot #165, now designated as 35 West Baltimore Street.
Since its very beginning, Funkstown was known for its mills. Their first mill was built in 1762. It was flourmill operated by Henry Funck. By 1785 Jerusalem was home for an iron furnace, brickyard, powder factory, grist and woolen mills and a host of inns and shops. The last mill built in 1859 was a flourmill which burned in September of 1929. It was run by the Antietam Mill Company.
Jacob Funck was a Washington County Representative to the Maryland House of Delegates, 1785-1787. He divested himself of all land holdings in Washington County in 1791. That year, he and his family moved to Jefferson County, Kentucky where they lived until his death at the age of 67 in 1794.
Dr. Christian Borestler settled in Jerusalem around 1784. He brought with him 70 German families that settled in the community. Needless to say, German was the predominant language spoken.
Catawba, Delaware, Cherokee and Powhatan Indians lived in and traveled through this area hunting, fishing and farming. Antietam Creek is named after these Native Americans.
Funck’s Town – Funkstown
The first post office was established in Funck’s Town on December 24, 1816.
In 1823 the Old National Pike was built through Funck’s Town and the first of two stone arch bridges was constructed over the Antietam Creek. The first was built in 1823 by James Lloyd to allow traffic on the Old National Pike to pass over the creek on its way toward the Allegheny Mountains
The Town was incorporated as “Funkstown” in 1840.
The Civil War left its devastation on Funkstown when on Lee’s retreat from Gettysburg a battle by General J.E.B. Stuart against General John Buford was fought on the east edge of town. The main engagement of July 10, 1863, resulted in 479 Federal troops being killed or wounded.
Joseph Stonebreaker, a resident of Funkstown and witness of the event wrote:
“The wounded were brought into town and Mrs. Chaney’s large dwelling was taken for a hospital. The Surgeons had a table in the yard under some trees and amputated arms and legs like sawing limbs from a tree. It was a terrible sight.”
Soldiers from both sides were treated by residents of the town.
Funkstown continued to grow in the twentieth century. However with the coming of railroads, the once bustling community of inns and mills became a quiet residential town.
In 1919 J.C. Weisner began efforts to create a memorial for World War I casualties. In 1921, the Funkstown Memorial was erected at the main square.
The western Maryland Community still reflects the charm and beauty that attracted the early German settlers. Many of the original historic houses and buildings are still in use as private homes, public buildings, quaint shops and businesses.
Did You Know That……..
.. the first electric car operated to the Funkstown Bridge was in the year 1898 and the first through Funkstown was in 1901, and that service was discontinued in 1938?
.. the first electric lights were turned on in the old Methodist Church in the year 1899?
.. the first automobile of the town was owned by Theo. McCoy, and the first pipeless furnace was installed in the Lutheran Church?
.. the first Burgess was Winfred (Daddy) Glass and the first lamp lighter was John Kindle?
.. the first radio with tube and speaker was owned by Glenn Williams?
.. the first Charter for an organized Fire Department was granted to Funkstown By the Maryland Legislature on February 20, 1827? (This Charter was never dissolved.)
.. the present Fire Company was organized on May 22, 1930?
.. the first macadam road built in America was between Funkstown and Boonsboro in 1823. The paving consisted of stones broken by hand to a size so small that they could be passed through a three inch ring and weighing no more than four ounces. The stones were graded to a depth of nine inches and a width of twenty feet.
.. the Funkstown Post Office was established ob December 24, 1816 with Henry Ohr as Postmaster?
.. the Methodist Church was built on the corner of Antietam and Chestnut Streets in 1840?
.. Cinderella born September 1832 and died June 26 1852 is buried in the East side for the Funkstown Cemetery?
.. the Union Reformed and Lutheran Church was located on Cemetery Street in 1771. The Lutheran Congregation built a new church on Baltimore Street in 1850. The German Reformed Church was forced to relocate when Their building was destroyed by fire on August 3, 1859. They also relocated on Baltimore Street. The Civil War delayed completion of their structure until 1864.